Electricity and Magnetism
5B20.35: Faraday Cage
Description: Radio waves, being electromagnetic in nature, do not penetrate the metal cage because the cage acts as a vertical and horizontal polarizer.
Since radio waves do not enter the Faraday cage, the radio will loose reception.
- Fine mesh Faraday Cage
- (Optional) Speakers
- Tune the radio to an AM station.
- If using the radio with no onboard speaker, connect to an external speaker.
- Test to make sure the radio looses the signal when put inside the faraday cage.
Note: Works best with an AM station. Also, the finer the wire mesh, the better it blocks the radio waves.
- Turn the radio on and note that it picks up the AM radio station.
- Place the radio inside the faraday cage and put the cover on top.
- Note that the radio looses the signal since E&M waves don't enter the cage.