6A10.20: Diffuse vs Specular Reflection
Description: This demonstration illustrates the difference between Diffuse and Specular reflection.
- Light bulb in socket
- Clear sheet of glass
- Frosted sheet of plastic
- Black cloth
- Variac to banana plug cable
- Clean the piece of glass.
- Place the black cloth on the table.
- Place the frosted sheet on one side of the light bulb, and the clear sheet of glass on the other side (see picture).
- Connect the light bulb to the variac and make sure it works. Leave the variac at about 100V.
- Note the two different sheets you have in front of the light bulb.
- Turn on the light bulb, and dim the lights in the room.
- Notice that the clear sheet of glass reflects the light from the light bulb. This is an example of Specular reflection.
- Note that the frosted plastic does not reflect the light form the light bulb. This is an example of Diffuse reflection.
- When finished, turn off the variac.