6A44.40: Laser and Fiber Optics
Description: These fiber optic devices show how we can exploit total internal reflection to transfer light across
great distances, and even in non linear paths.
- Fiber Optic cable
- Curled glass tube
- Fiber Optic toy
- Make sure the fiber optic toy works.
- Turn on the laser and shine it into the curled glass tube. Note that you can see the laser light out of the other end.
- Shine the laser into the fiber optic cable. Note that you can see the laser light at the other end, even if you bend the cable a little.
- The fiber optic cable can also be used to read text off a paper.
- Show the Fiber Optic toy. Turn it on.
- When finished, turn off the toy and the laser
Do not stare at the laser beam. Do not point the laser at students.