6C10.10: Single Slit and Laser
Description: This demonstration shows the diffraction pattern of laser light passing through a single slit.
- Optical bench
- Laser on post
- Magnetic stand and magnetic slide holder
- Single Slit slide
- Insert the laser into the optical bench.
- Insert the magnetic stand into the optical bench.
- Place the single slit slide on the magnetic slide holder.
- Place the magnetic slide holder onto the magnetic stand and align so the laser will shin on the slit.
- Setup in the classroom to allow for the most distance between the laser and screen.
- Turn on the laser and make sure it's lined up on the desired slit.
- (Optional) Turn off the lights.
- Note the diffraction pattern on the screen.
- You may repeat this using different slit widths.
- When finished, turn off the laser.
Do not stare into the beam. Keep away from students eyes.
Note: For large classes, a camera can be used to project the pattern on another screen, although the quality will be worse.