6C10.15: Adjustable Slit and Laser
Description: Using a variable width slit, you can show what happens to the diffraction pattern when the slit size is varied.
- Optical bench
- Laser on post
- Adjustable Slit
- Insert the laser into the optical bench.
- Insert the adjustable slit into the optical bench.
- Align the laser so it will shin on the slit.
- Setup in the classroom to allow for the most distance between the laser and screen.
- Turn on the laser and make sure it's lined up on the slit.
- (Optional) Turn off the lights.
- Note the diffraction pattern on the screen.
- Vary the size of the slit and note the difference. To open the slit, you turn the knob clockwise.
- When finished, turn off the laser.
Do not stare into the beam. Keep away from students eyes.