6D10.10: Double Slit and Laser
Description: This demonstration shows the double slit interference pattern for laser light.
Use diffrent slit widths and diffrent slit separations and observe the diffrent interference patterns.
- Optical bench
- Laser on post
- Magnetic stand and magnetic slide holder
- Double Slit slide
- Insert the laser into the optical bench.
- Insert the magnetic stand into the optical bench.
- Place the double slit slide on the magnetic slide holder.
- Place the magnetic slide holder onto the magnetic stand and align so the laser will shin on the slits.
- Setup in the classroom to allow for the most distance between the laser and screen.
- Turn on the laser and make sure it's lined up on the desired slits.
- (Optional) Turn off the lights.
- Note the diffraction pattern on the screen.
- You may repeat this using different slit widths or different slit spacings.
- When finished, turn off the laser.
Do not stare into the beam. Keep away from students eyes.