6D20.10: Multiple Slits and Laser
Description: This demonstration uses a slide with varing number of slits (between 2 and 5).
Observe how the pattern changes with increasing number of slits. This demonstration can lead into diffraction gratings.
- Optical bench
- Laser on post
- Magnetic stand and magnetic slide holder
- Multiple Slits slide
- Insert the laser into the optical bench.
- Insert the magnetic stand into the optical bench.
- Place the multiple slits slide on the magnetic slide holder.
- Place the magnetic slide holder onto the magnetic stand and align so the laser will shin on the slits.
- Setup in the classroom to allow for the most distance between the laser and screen.
- Turn on the laser and make sure it's lined up on the desired number of slits.
- (Optional) Turn off the lights.
- Note the diffraction pattern on the screen.
- You may repeat this using a different number of slits.
- When finished, turn off the laser.
Do not stare into the beam. Keep away from students eyes.