6D20.15: Diffraction gratings and Laser
Description: This demonstration shows what happens to laser light that passes through a diffraction grating.
- Optical bench
- Laser on post
- Magnetic stand and magnetic slide holder
- Diffraction grating slide
- Insert the laser into the optical bench.
- Insert the magnetic stand into the optical bench.
- Place the diffraction grating on the magnetic slide holder.
- Place the magnetic slide holder onto the magnetic stand and align so the laser will shin on the grating.
- Setup in the classroom so the diffraction pattern fits on the screen.
- Turn on the laser and make sure it's lined up on the grating.
- (Optional) Turn off the lights.
- Note the diffraction pattern on the screen.
- You may repeat this using a different grating.
- When finished, turn off the laser.
Do not stare into the beam. Keep away from students eyes.