6D20.32: Compact Disk Diffraction and Laser
Description: Demonstrate that a Compact disk can act as a diffraction grating.
- Optical bench
- Laser on post
- CD holder with either transparent CD or silvered CD.
- Insert the laser into the optical bench.
- Insert the CD stand into the optical bench.
- Align so the laser will shin on the CD.
- Setup in the classroom so the diffraction pattern fits on the screen.
- If using the transparent CD, have it so the laser passes through the CD onto the screen.
If using the silvered CD, have it so the laser reflects off the CD onto the screen.
- Turn on the laser and make sure it's lined up on the CD.
- (Optional) Turn off the lights.
- Note the diffraction pattern on the screen.
- When finished, turn off the laser.
Do not stare into the beam. Keep away from students eyes.