4B70.10: Fire Syringe
Description: This demonstration shows the relationship between Pressure, Volume, and Temperature in an adiabatic compression.
- 2 Fire Syringe sets
- 2 Small piece of gun cotton
- 3-in-1 oil
- Oil the three rubber washers on each fire syringe and wipe it off with a tissue.
- Break off 2 small pieces of gun cotton, about the size of a grain or rice or a BB bullet.
- Place each in the bottom of a fire syringe.
- It is highly recommended that professors try this out before class to get a feel of how much pressure to use.
- Stand the fire syringe up vertical on the table and insert the metal stopper.
- When ready, push down the fire syringe with a good amount of pressure.
- As you push down, hold the metal stopper on the recoil back or it will pop out.
- The gun cotton should ignite. This happens because the volume quickly decreases, and the temperature goes up.
Enough to ignite the gun cotton.